Wednesday 20 November 2013

Negotiation for Purchasing Professionals - Book review

It's over 20 years since I l bought Steele, Murphy and Russill's handbook on negotiation, 'It's a Deal'. I found that book really helpful and practical. 20 years is a long time, so I didn't think I was being too extravagant investing in Jonathan O'Brien's 'Negotiation for Purchasing Professionals'. To be honest I needed no persuasion given that O'Brien's previous book, 'Category Management in Purchasing' is the definitive text on the subject.

'Negotiation for Purchasing Professionals' does not disappoint. What we have is a toolkit ready for use. The book effectively outlines the 'Red Sheet' method, complete with all the templates. Don't get me wrong though, this is not one of those clumsy, disjointed clutter of diagrams and models; no it is comprehensive and yet easy to read.

Working in a multi-cutural organisation I found the chapter on 'Negotiating across cultures' particularly good. While not the focus of the chapter, in many of today's businesses, with cross-functional teams drawn together across the globe, who have to negotiate as one-team, I thought the chapter made a useful contribution to effective team working.

I thought O'Brien was also excellent on 'power' and 'game theory'. While these chapters are written in the context of negotiation, I think they are useful reading, regardless of whether or not negotiation is in your mind. I suppose the same could be said for the chapter on body language which could provide many hours of enjoyment in 'people-watching' but just as easily a complex. O'Brien has a real skill in making concepts and theories pragmatic. Having said that, O'Brien has also creating a step-by-step guide to stacking the odds in your favour, right down to meeting and greeting!

Without doubt this is a book for every procurement practitioner.
   
Now just in case you want to get a copy of the book for yourself, at a decent price, order direct from Kogan using the code NPP and you'll save 25%!


No comments:

Post a Comment