Friday 6 December 2013

Strangers on a Train - Procurement Theatre review

Yesterday, I took on the role of procurement theatre reviewer with 'Twelve Angry Man'. Unfortunately, it's not a role I envisage being able to do often and I am unlikely to be able to justify giving up the day job, not least as I am so rarely in London now. 

However, I recently also had the good fortune to see 'Strangers on a Train' - £11.50 for a £63 ticket seemed a remarkably good start to the night. The joys of buying a cheap deal and receiving an upgrade.

As with 'Twelve Angry Men' I could see procurement lessons. 

The story is that of a causal encounter on a train journey. Two strangers fall into conversation. One of the strangers falls into the trap of saying more than he should to his fellow traveller, who of course entrapped him and he never thought he would see again. In a bizarre twist he then finds himself blackmailed and obliged to act in a way which would have previously have been inconceivable. 

The play is set in the days before mobile phones and those 'private and commercially sensitive' telephone calls which are effectively 'broadcast' in train carriages and executive lounges all over the world. The procurement message is that 'careless words can cost dearly' so be cautious what you say and of your boasts, but equally, be wary of entrapment.

While not as good as 'Twelve Angry Men' I did find myself gripped by the play and drawn in to the extent I actually jumped at one stage. An excellent thriller. While I felt Laurence Fox was really good I just couldn't get past Lewis' sidekicks accent; to me, it was Jack Huston who really shone - an excellent performance. Sadly the benefit of a great set was sometimes detracted from by some of the action being  blocked by the ceiling of the rear stalls.    

No comments:

Post a Comment